Last updated: August 28, 2007. To see what has changed, click here.
Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com is committed to respecting your privacy.
- The information we collect
- How we use and share Personal Customer Information
- Communications from Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com
- Linking to third-party web sites
- Questions or comments
- Security Policy
1. The information we collect
When you use the Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com site, we receive and collect certain information. The information that we receive and collect depends on what you do when you visit ecookbooks.com.
- Information You Actively Provide Us. For most of the browsing services available on ecookbooks.com, we neither require nor collect any of the following information: your name, email address, billing address, shipping address(es), phone number and/or credit card information (“Customer Personal Information”). You can browse the Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com site and take as much time as you want to review our books and other products, services and reviews without having to submit such Customer Personal Information. Even when you use our shopping cart as you browse, there is no need to submit Customer Personal Information.
In the following instances, however, we do need you to actively submit Customer Personal Information: when you want to (i) create an account; (ii) complete an order; (iii) subscribe to our Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com Newsletters and alerts, and/or (iv) submit customer reviews.
Creating an ecookbooks.com Account. You can create a password-protected ecookbooks.com account to complete an order or to save items in your Wish List and/or Gift Registry. To create an account, we require that you provide us with the following Customer Personal Information: your email address, and your first and last names. You will also have to create a password.
Completing an Order. If you have an ecookbooks.com account that you want to use to complete an order, you will have to access that account. The Customer Personal Information stored in that account will then be used to complete the order, or you will be required to input additional Customer Personal Information such as payment information.
ecookbooks.com Newsletter and Alerts. You may sign up for free email Newsletters and alerts filled with recommendations and reviews of books, DVD’s, posters, coffee, food-related news and more. To do so, you will need to supply your email address in the E-Newsletter Registry. Please note that this newsletter registry is different from the ecookbooks.com account and password which you set up to make purchases. You can sign up for our Newsletter Registry whether or not you have an ecookbooks.com account. Also, the contact information collected in the Newsletter Registry is only used to forward the Newsletters and alerts you select.
- Automatically Collected Information. Some information is automatically received and sometimes collected from you when you visit the Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com site. We receive and collect the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet protocol (“IP”) address of the computer you are using; the browser software you use and your operating system; the date and time you access our site; and the Internet address of the web site from which you linked directly to our site. We use this information to monitor and better understand the usage of our site. Also, when we send emails to you, we may be able to identify information about your email address, such as whether you can read graphic-rich HTML emails. All of the information we automatically capture provides us with the ability to enhance our customers' search and shopping experiences and to determine aggregate information about our user base and usage patterns.
- Information Collected Using Pixel Tags or Clear GIFs. To help us understand the activity and results of certain of our email marketing efforts, ecookbooks.com may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies. Both technologies require the use of pixel tags or clear GIFs (also called web beacons). The "message format" sensing technology allows us to recognize whether you have enabled your email program to receive HTML emails; if so, this information is then associated with your email address so that subsequent messages can be sent to you in HTML format. The "message open" sensing technology allows us to recognize whether you have opened our email message. We can only detect this if you have enabled your email program to receive HTML emails.
2. How we use and share Customer Personal Information
Occasionally, ecookbooks.com uses Customer Personal Information for marketing purposes. If you have an ecookbooks.com account, you can opt-out from us using your information for this purpose at any time by logging onto Your Account and following the instructions there. If you visit ecookbooks.com without an account, you can opt-out either by updating your Email Preferences, or by selecting the link at the bottom of any promotional e-mail communication from ecookbooks.com that you receive and following the instructions.
Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com shares Customer Personal Information that we collect as follows:
- Affiliates: If you visit ecookbooks.com from another web site (i.e., link from that site) and buy products at ecookbooks.com, in connection with that link that is an “affiliate transaction”, and we may share customer information related to such transaction(s) with that third party affiliate.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We engage other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Promotional Offers: We may sometimes send offers to selected groups of ecookbooks.com customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address. If you do not want to receive such offers, please log on to your Account and adjust your communication preferences there.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy business units. In such transactions, Customer Personal Information would generally be one of the transferred business assets but would remain subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the event that some time in the future Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com or substantially all of its assets are acquired, Customer Personal Information would of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Law Enforcement Investigations and Protection of Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com and Others: Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com may release Customer Personal Information when we believe, in our judgment, that such release is reasonably necessary to comply with law, enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com, our users, or others.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set forth above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
3. Communications from Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com
As an ecookbooks.com purchaser or account holder, you may receive the following communications from Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com:
- Communications related to transaction, account and website maintenance activities. By creating an ecookbooks.com account and/or making a purchase on ecookbooks.com , you may receive communications from us relating to: order confirmations; order updates; order problems; important website information and material changes to site policies and account management procedures.
- ecookbooks.com Newsletter Communications. You may sign up for free email Newsletters and alerts filled with recommendations and reviews for books, DVD’s, coffee, food-related news and more. To do so, you will need to supply your email address in the E-Newsletter Registry. Please note that this newsletter registry is different from the ecookbooks.com account and password which you set up to make purchases. Also, the contact information collected in the E-Newsletter Registry. is only used to forward the Newsletters and alerts you select. To unsubscribe from any ecookbooks.com Newsletter or alert, you can either (i) select the link at the bottom of any ecookbooks.com Newsletter or alert and follow the instructions or (ii) update your Email Preferences.
The Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com site is not directed to children under 18 years of age and Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com does not knowingly collect any information from children under 18 years of age through the Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com site.
5. Linking to third-party web sites
When you click on links and banners that may appear on our site that take you to third-party web sites, you will be subject to the third parties' privacy policies. While we support the protection of privacy on the Internet, Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com cannot be responsible for the actions of any third-party web sites. We encourage you to read the posted privacy statement of any and every site you visit, whether you are linking from our site or browsing on your own.
7. Questions or comments
8. Security Policy
- Protecting your information
The Customer Personal Information you provide -- including your credit card information -- to create and access an account with us and to make purchases from us is secured using industry standard e-commerce security technology such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology. We use this SSL technology to prevent such information from being intercepted and viewed as it is transmitted over the Internet. The encrypted data goes to a secure site where your information is stored on restricted-access computers located at restricted-access sites.
Remember to sign out from your ecookbooks.com Account
To prevent unauthorized access to your account, remember that, after you sign in, you should sign out once you have (i) completed your transaction, (ii) completed managing your account, or (iii) decided to step away from your computer. Anyone who accesses your computer after you have signed in but before you have either signed out or your session has timed-out can access your account.
Under federal law, a credit card issuer cannot make you liable for charges in excess of $50.00 that result from the unauthorized use of your credit card. There are similar federal laws that relate to debit cards. Exceptions do apply, and you will have to comply with the rules of your credit card or debit card issuer, so please contact your card issuer for further details.
Alternative customer purchasing options
If you do not feel comfortable sending your credit card information to us over the Internet, you still can shop with us. We welcome you to call us to complete your purchase by phone or by mail. Please go to our Help link and see the Payment Options section for details.
Changes to security policy
Jessica’s Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com reserves the right to modify or amend this policy at any time by posting the revised Security Policy on our site. The changes will only affect the information we collect after the effective date of the change to our Security Policy unless we clearly express otherwise.